Wednesday, October 8, 2008

First day of work

Whoa! Today was hectic but also quite nice. I enjoyed meeting everyone and I am feeling like getting down to business. I ate for free at Sizzler and sampled their all new menus and will be able to eat there whenever I want. I am working directly with the recipes too! They are only cooking fresh now, and with organic ingredients and also their business model is changing. Seems like a great time to be on board!

A couple things on the job are pressing immediately and the rest I think is learn as I go. The CEO's advice to me was efficiency, be aware but helpful and keep an open mind to others needs. I can do that! This position will be a great learning experience for me and also I will be able to bring my skills to the table as well.

I am thinking I will really be able to assist this executive team with my knowledge of various subjects and previous experience in various areas. I think once I get the restaurant knowledge I need to handle the database creation I will be good to go.

As their database will soon be my responsibility I will work with Keith to ensure no encroachment or changes without approvals.

Also in heavier news, here is how God worked in my life today. This should be its own entry everyday but I am not always smart enough to see it.

Today, the new hire orientation was scheduled for 8am. I prepared last night and set the alarm to begin my new job. Bus at 5:30 arrive at 7:30a. There were other plans at work. The alarm did not go off and I missed my orientation! Awaking at 8 to birds chirping (not a good sign!) I panicked and called the office and profusely apologized. I then prepared for the worst and they said this is really bad and is not acceptable for anyone. I agreed and then decided to write an email removing myself from the position with a final explanation (injury, accident, and all!) as I was pressing send, I got the callback. HR had spoken to the CEO and he felt that everyone deserves a chance and these things happen and he understands can I still come in at 10 instead? They said they feel I will be able to make a great contribution and would like to offer me the opportunity anyway. I promptly said yes and went about how the hell I was going to get there?!

I decided renting a car just for the day would be fastest and allow me to do what needed to be done. I rented a car at 9:30 they arrived to pick me up. I left at 9:45 and prayed to God, why on earth would you let me have another chance AND let me be late for the 2nd chance? Traffic miraculously went faster and I got there at 9:59 on the dot! Unbelievable how God is working in my life. Seriously..

No comments: