Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Day 31



In the delivery of my things from our past and Chris's room (I got my fave shirt back!), there was the camera and charger his mom got us and an iphone holder. I wonder why on earth those were in the mix? I'm in a quandary because I want to return them, but I also am not talking to him for 60 days so I can't ask or inquire.

Dude, why do I still check Chris's email? Not as much as before, but still! It only serves to make me depressed, happy or confused. This is why he needs to change his password. I need to resist this temptation. I saw an invite to him from Rosen for Rick's memorial. Eek. I feel there is no way Chris can go to that and not get high. All his pot smoking friends will be there. I have no idea about Rick or how he died or where or what is going on in Chris's life at all. It's probably better that I don't know.

In other news, I am going to sing tonight at Pancho's - yep, "Dont Know Why-Norah Jones" since I did not get to go to Backstage to sing it the other night and stayed home instead reading the Bible. I'm about to meditate right now, and then ice/stretch and make some dinner before working out on the bike.

Here is what I learned in the last 2 days..

1) we are transformed by trouble

Our most profound experiences with God happen when we are at our lowest points "our darkest days".

They bring us closer to him and to building our character through relations with him. "You'll never know that God is all you need until God is all you've got."

We are like jewels shaped with the hammer and chisel of adversity. If the jewelers hammer isn't strong enough to chip off our rough edges, God will use a sledgehammer. If that isn't sharp enough to shape us, he will use a jackhammer. Every problem is a character building opportunity. We can learn through what Jesus did when he was in pain and suffering, right?
  • Remember that God is good.
  • Rejoice and give thanks.
  • Refuse to give up.
2) growing through temptation

Every temptation is an opportunity to do good. To do the right thing. Fruit of the Spirit is matured through temptation and opportunities for success/failure. Fruit matures and ripens slowly. God wants us to have the qualities of Jesus. love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control.

A theory could be that God teaches us love by putting unlovely people in our paths. God teaches us real joy in the midst of sorrow. God teaches us real peace by not making things go as planned, or allowing times of chaos and confusion. We learn to trust in God in those times, when we are tempted to be afraid or worried. Likewise patience is taught by being forced to wait, or temptations to anger or have a short fuse. God causes the opposite situation of each fruit to allow us a choice. We cannot claim to be good if we have never been bad. Or faithful if we have never had the opportunity to be unfaithful. Integrity is built by defeating temptation. humility grows when we refuse to be prideful. Character development always involves choice, and temptation provides this opportunity.

Temptation by the Devil usually works in always the same strategy. It helps to know your weaknesses so you may avoid some temptations that you consistently give in to.
  • Refuse to be intimidated. (know you will be tempted and recognize it)
  • Recognize your pattern/vulnerability. (when are you most tempted? time of day? where are you tempted? with whom?)
  • Request God's help. (he is open 24/7) He said "call on me in times of trouble. I will rescue you and you will honor me"

No comments: